Symbol of the Government of Canada

Common menu bar links

Draft Minutes of Finfish Aquaculture Industry Advisory Panel Meeting

Warning This content has been archived.

Archived Content

Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.

January 27, 2012, 1:00pm – 3:00pm
Executive Boardroom, DFO Headquarters, 401 Burrard St., Vancouver

[PDF]

Attendance

Sue Farlinger, Regional Director General, DFO Pacific Region
Andy Thomson, Director, Aquaculture Management
March Klaver, Regional Manager, Aquaculture Resource Management
Shirley Choi, A/Governance Officer, Aquaculture Programs
Diana Trager, Area Director, Lower Fraser Area
Corey Jackson, Regional Manager, Aquaculture Programs
Brian Atagi, Area Chief of Aquaculture, Conservation and Protection
Chris Manore, Chief, Regulations, Conservation and Protection
Tim Rundle, Creative Salmon
Ward Griffioen, West Coast Fishculture
Mary Ellen Walling, Executive Director, BC Salmon Farmers Association
Stewart Hawthorn – Grieg Seafoods
Clare Backman, Marine Harvest Canada
Fernando Villarroel, Mainstream Canada
Myron Roth, Aquaculture & Seafood, Policy and Industry Competitiveness Branch, BC Ministry of Agriculture

1.0 Introductions

2.0 Review of the Agenda and suggested modifications

  • Industry suggested to move review of previous meeting minutes (item 3.0) and action items to end of the meeting (item 4.0)
  • Industry suggested to first discuss item 5.0, Review of Terms of Reference for FAIAP and Joint Technical Committee.
  • DFO announced that Andrew Thomson has been appointed to the Area Director, South Coast Area position as of February 1, 2012. Diana Trager will take on the role of Director of Aquaculture.

5.0 Review of Terms of Reference for FAIAP

  • Industry wants to find a process that is more efficient due to the limited capacity they have for the increased reporting requirements.
  • Industry would like to develop areas of priority that will inform the IMAP and policies.
  • More opportunities to increase production by increasing science based research and development
  • Industry expressed concerns related to:
    • increased cost of growing fish in BC
    • need for a technical committee based on science
    • the need for a timeline of milestones and meetings for the industry
    • the need to be included in fishery related meetings
  • ACTION: Timeline should be drafted by February 17th and review of ToR.

6.1 IMAP Planning

  • Andrew Thompson provided an update on the current status of IMAP planning.
  • There is still a need to develop governance process.
  • Will be working with First Nations, industry and other parties to feed into this process.
  • The timeline being developed should consider timelines of other fisheries.
  • DFO has been engaging First Nations in the Aquaculture management process through bilateral and aggregate meetings. First Nations with rights and title concerns as well as First Nations in the industry came to the meetings. This has helped show transparency of the sector and increase understanding and knowledge of the industry in the First Nation communities.
  • Draft IMAPs are posted online for discussion and comments

6.2 Schedule of fines and tickets

  • • Chris Manore gave presentation on Fines and Ticketing.
  • Maximum fine is $1000 in BC under Fishery Act, however a heavier fine can be levied by a judge.
  • Industry is more concerned about receiving a conviction due to public image, fines are not just a cost of business to them.
  • Under the Fishery Act an offender is convicted if ticket is paid, however under the Contraventions Act, once a ticket is paid, it is not considered a conviction.
  • Destruction of fish habitat would likely result in summons, as no fine is great enough of a punishment.
  • ACTION: Chris Manore to distribute Fines and Tickets deck.

7. Small Craft Harbours

  • DFO Small Craft Harbours is going through their strategic planning cycle and would like to know what infrastructure the industry may want
  • ACTION: Industry to send any comments for infrastructure upgrades required to support aquaculture industry to Diana Trager.

Added: Presentation on BC Agri-Food Industry

  • The Provincial government would like to develop the BC seafood industry, especially for export to Asia-Pacific.
  • In the development of BC’s Agrifood Strategy, the Province believes that there are 3 key areas government needs to focus on:
    • Focus on high-quality, high value products;
    • Expand domestic and international markets;
    • Help the BC Agrifood sector become more competitive.
  • Questions posed to the seafood sector: Does the aquaculture industry agree with these priorities? Are they pointed in the right direction?.
  • Other questions being posed were:
    1. What actions can and should the Ministry of Agriculture do in the next 12-months+ that will have a positive impact on the aquaculture sector? (that are affordable and achievable).
    2. What should industry and government be working on together over the next 12-months+ to accelerate growth in the aquaculture sector?
    3. What are the things government needs to focus on over the next 12-months and longer to enable job creation and help industry open and expand new markets?
    4. The Province understands that the aquaculture sector is a key driver of jobs and revenue in the Province and the cornerstone of many communities. What is the Province doing now in the ministry that is working for the sector. What could they do more of or expand on?
  • ACTION: send comments to Myron Roth (Myron.Roth@gov.bc.ca)
    • BCSFA noted that the PST needs to be revisited

Meeting concluded before Items 3.0 and 4.0 were discussed