Symbol of the Government of Canada

Common menu bar links

Yukon Salmon Sub-Committee March Meeting

Warning This content has been archived.

Archived Content

Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.

March 17, 2011 - Location: Yukon Fish and Wildlife Management Board

Yukon Salmon Sub-Committee March Meeting March 17, 2011 - Location: Yukon Fish and Wildlife Management Board [PDF]

In Attendance

Board Members: Tara Christie (via teleconference), Wold Reidl, Paul Birckel, Pauline Frost

Staff and Guests: Dennis Zimmermann (Executive Director, YSSC), James McDonald (Executive Secretary, DFO), Steve Smith (Area Chief, Resource Management, DFO)

Not in Attendance: Wayne Jim, Frank Thomas, Ron Chambers, Ed Long

Call to Order

1. Review of Agenda - approved as is.

2. Review and Approval of Minutes of 02/02-03/11 - Approved subject to minor changes - adding years to meeting dates. Recommended by Wold Riedl - seconded by Paul Bickel - no objections.

3. Review of Action Items - from 02/02-03/11 Board Meeting – all completed or in progress with exception of Mayo B – requiring further discussion, and Yukon Queen updates from YESAB forthcoming. Alaska regime and Ichthyophonus items to be addressed at upcoming Yukon River Panel Meetings.

4. Financial Review -

  • Overview of 2010-2011 actuals to date and the variance to March 21, 2011.
  • Budget for travel, meeting and salary, wages and honorarium considerably less than anticipated due to fewer meetings and transition from Office Manager to Executive Director.
  • There is an anticipated delay in the 2011-2012 contribution agreement from DFO which might be covered by a roll-over if funding so there are no funding gaps for the YSSC.
  • Expenditures expected to occur around hiring consultant to work on the Salmon Summit proposal with CYFN.
  • ACTION ITEM: work with the budget spreadsheet to improve on expense tracking and accountability.
  • Discussion around signing authority and the need to add new signatories and update this list.
  • Discussion around CPP and the need to collect or not. ACTION ITEM: check into CPP with Service Canada and if required amend payroll files with bookkeeper.

5. Outreach/Communications (Dennis) -

  • Overview of website updates on www.yssc.ca, including updated meetings, minutes, and the request for a twitter feed.
  • ACTION ITEM: proceed with twitter feed.
  • Update on upcoming purchases for communications including newspaper ads for the May meeting in Dawson City.
  • Outreach to numerous First Nations with Executive Director introduction and preliminary discussions around the Salmon Summit.
  • Media relations protocol discussion whereby media requests go to Chair and then Vice-chair for comment. Chair may designate to someone on the board most appropriate for question.

6. Technical Presentations -

  • Steve Smith – DFO – presentation on preliminary escapement goals and management regime for the Canadian side. Dr. Marc Labelle to start with DFO this spring and support the Canadian side on Chinook management. Currently in Nanaimo and will move to Whitehorse in the fall.
  • Discussion around the importance of collecting reliable and timely harvest data from Yukon communities.
  • ACTION ITEM: YSSC to write a letter to all First Nations regarding the importance of harvest data collection for Canadian negotiations at the Yukon River Panel.
  • Discussion with DFO around Yukon River Panel meetings, expectations and approaches to communicate with the Alaskans regarding their management of the Chinook fishery.
  • Importance of ensuring the Alaskans present their management regime and approach for decision making prior to and mid-season.

7. Member Updates - to be covered in other business.

8. Other Business -

  • Overview of progress on the proposed Salmon Summit. Meetings have taken place with consultant Angela Walkley and Brian Bell of CYFN. Angela will be hired to work on outcomes for the Summit regardless of whether it is to be funded by the R and E fund or not. YSSC supports the Salmon Summit and will pay for the consultant time and services. Meetings scheduled in partnership with Brian Bell of CYFN.
  • Alaska By-Catch Update – Wolf has attempted to contact Glenn Reed – Pacific Seafood Producers regarding diverting some by-catch Chinook to Yukon communities. Discussion around complications with the fact that these are juvenile fish (2-3 years), storage, distribution and the fact that YSSC is not sure Yukon First Nations want or would accept these fish.
  • Information item that the Wild Salmon Policy will be discussed at the upcoming Yukon River Panel meetings by a Vancouver based expert working on behalf of DFO.
  • Received formal notification of Tammy Lee Josie’s resignation from YSSC as Vuntut Gwitch’in representative through CYFN.

9. Future Meetings

  • Yukon River Panel (Whitehorse) March 21-24, 2011
  • Yukon Salmon Sub-Committee (Dawson City) May 18, 19, 2011
  • Yukon Salmon Sub-Committee (Whitehorse) October 19,20, 2011
  • Yukon Salmon Sub-Committee (Whitehorse) November 16,17, 2011
  • Yukon River Panel (Whitehorse or Anchorage) December 5-8, 2011
  • Yukon Salmon Sub-Committee (Whitehorse) February 2, 3, 2012
  • Yukon Salmon Sub-Committee (Whitehorse) March 1, 2, 2012

3:00pm – Call for Meeting to be adjourned. Recommended by Pauline Frost-Hanberg – seconded by Paul Birckel – no objections