Opportunity for Retirement of Commercial Salmon Troll Fishing Licence Eligibilities: Pacific Salmon Treaty Voluntary Salmon Troll Licence Retirement Program
This letter is to advise that the Pacific Salmon Treaty (PST) Voluntary Salmon Troll Licence Retirement program (VLRP) that provides an opportunity for salmon troll vessel owners to retire their licences has re-started. Fisheries and Oceans Canada (the Department) intends to continue offering licence retirement opportunities through to the end of December, 2018, subject to remaining mitigation funds.
The Department has commissioned an independent review of the Pacific Salmon Treaty Voluntary Salmon Troll Licence Retirement Program and reviewed its recommendations.
A copy of the review can be found on the Department’s library online catalogue.
In consideration of the results of the review and associated recommendations, the Department has also updated several key components of the VLRP. Several updates to the VLRP have been made to respond to recommendations including:
- improvements to communication and administration of the program;
- revision of the fair market value (FMV) used internally by the Department to determine which licence retirement offers to accept; and
- plans to continue the current licence retirement program until December, 31 2018 or until no funds remain. Should funds remain after December 2018, the Department will review future uses of any remaining funds at that time.
In regards to updates to improvements to communication and administration of the program, the following changes have been made:
- The Voluntary Salmon Troll Licence Retirement application package will no longer be mailed out to all eligible salmon troll vessel owners after this round.
- In future, all information will be made available online and communication related to the VLRP will be done through the current email address on record with the Pacific Fishery Licence Unit for each salmon troll vessel owner.
Please ensure that the Department has your correct email address.
The Department does not intend to re-issue the application package for each retirement round. Instead, the application forms may now be submitted to the Department at any time throughout the year and any applications received will be reviewed quarterly. Responses will be provided to applicants on the success of their applications following the end of each quarterly deadline. It is anticipated the deadlines for quarterly retirement rounds will be:
October 31, 2016
January 31, 2017
April 30, 2017
July 31, 2017
October 31, 2017
January 31, 2018
April 30, 2018
July 31, 2018
October 31, 2018
December 31, 2018
In regards to the revision to the Fair Market Value paid by the Department and the process used to determine which licence to retire:
- The use of a reverse auction process continues to be appropriate given the objectives of the program;
- To maintain the integrity of the program, the FMV used by the Department will continue to not be made public;
- Vessel owners who offer full or reduced fee salmon troll (Area F, G or H) licence eligibilities and/or packages, that are within fair market value will be considered.
Financial considerations may impact your decision on whether or not to retire commercial salmon troll licence eligibilities. It is recommended that you talk to a financial advisor to discuss your options.
Should you have any questions regarding the application form or this process, please contact Andria Charette at (604) 666-1640 or Andria.Charette@dfo-mpo.gc.ca for further assistance.
Regional Director, Fisheries Management
Fisheries and Oceans Canada
- Date modified: