Report a Shark
Everyone that encounters a Basking Shark, Bluntnose Sixgill Shark, Tope Shark, or any other shark species in BC (with the exception of North Pacific Spiny Dogfish) is encouraged to document and report the encounter to DFO.
Report your encounter to a local Fisheries Officer, call our toll free line: 1-877-50-SHARK (1-877-507-4275), or:
- Basking Shark Encounters: e-mail your report to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also use the Online Form or Printable Form and mail or fax it to us.
- Other Shark Encounters (except North Pacific Spiny Dogfish): e-mail your report to email@example.com.
You should document as many details of the encounter as possible, including:
- Photograph(s) or video of the shark, including the dorsal fin;
- Date of the encounter and time of day;
- Location (as specific as possible, e.g. positional GPS data);
- Estimates of the total length and sex (males have claspers, see Figure 2) of the shark(s);
- Any distinguishing features (e.g. colour, scars), behaviours, visible wounds, swimming ability of the shark post-release; and
- Your name and contact information (voluntary)
- Date modified: